This episode is a fire side chat. Literally! Marc Wohling discovered surfing, music and martial arts early in life. These three things gave him a pattern for life; but also a structure for loss. Working in remote communities and with underprivileged youth, Marc has been using techniques drawn from surfing, music and martial arts to teach, coach and mentor.
And Messr Sans Tattoo joins our chat by the fire.
In this episode we discuss Marc’s eclectic background and adventures. From West Timor, to the red dust of outback Australian aboriginal communities through to the best guitar rifts and then into the boxing ring. This is another great yarn.
And we conclude with a song from Marc’s band Handsome Frank ….
Intelligence Summary (INTSUM)
- 9:23 - Cats in the Cradle, Harry Chapin lyrics-https://genius.com/Harry-chapin-cats-in-the-cradle-lyrics
- 13:00- Victorian College of the Arts. https://finearts-music.unimelb.edu.au/about-us/vca
- 17:06- John Coltrane, My Favourite Things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWG2dsXV5HI
- 19:30- Tragedy in West Timor
- 22:25- Coping with trauma and tragedy of a child’s death
- 25:45- Using breathing techniques to regulate stress and anxiety
- 28:05- Into the Australian outback!!!
- 37:05- On positive role models
- 40:30- Chris Collard breaks Ben’s ribs. About Chris: https://www.deadlyvibe.com.au/2007/11/chris-collard/
- 49:30- On Movement! (and the Blog)
- 52:50- Do you believe in luck?
- 56:15- Quick Questions/ Quick Answers
- 1:00:15- Marc’s Recommended Book: https://www.booktopia.com.au/what-i-talk-about-when-i-talk-about-running-haruki-murakami/prod9780099526155.html?source=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7mH2_be4wIVg4BwCh2QaA5mEAQYASABEgL1V_D_BwE
Website & Contact
Marc’s Blog: https://movementisastory.com
Music by Handsome Frank (‘On Me’)