This episode is just great fun! Melina Mellino is a former United States Airforce Computer Systems Operator: But she knows nothing about computers!
Melina claims it was good sales work by the US Military that got her into the Airforce. So good that instead of 4 years she signed up for 6 years of ‘adventure’! Melina served in Afghanistan, including driving trucks and tactical vehicles as her secondary task. After Afghanistan she served in Turkey, where Melina reflected that people’s problems with internet connections were in stark contrast to people problems in Afghanistan.
Melina left the military after Turkey and went to ‘just hang out’…. back in Afghanistan.
Melina then got the lure of Australia to study natural medicine. But she needed a laptop!? Who would have thought!? And that clearly didn’t last!
Trail running has always been her passion and we talk- lycra, headbands, shoes, nature and the community of trail runners.
And we talk power songs!
Melina now owns and runs the Perth Trail Series where she encourages people to get out there, run, have fun and just 'woohoo'!
Intelligence Summary (INTSUM)
- 02:55 How it all started
- 04:00 How the military sucks fun out of fun activities
- 05:50 On flying
- 08:30 Why we yelled at communications experts
- 09:45 In Afghanistan. Endearing thoughts. Running convoys from Bagram Air Base to Mazar e Sharif
- 13:00 In Turkey
- 16:00 Hanging out… back in Afghanistan
- 19:15 Into Australia. Chase the sun
- 19:55 Studying Natural Medicine
- 21:35 Fact check Australia’s coastline length
- 27:50 Trail running as a vocation
- 28:30 Zoolander struts into the conversation (Ben!)
- 31:45 What is trail running?
- 36:35 Ben’s mountain running and bathrooms
- 44:10 Is it a competition?
- 49:01 How Melina describes her leadership style
- 55:55 Power Songs! Melina, Tim and Ben’s power songs
- 01:01:00 Lycra
- XX:YY:ZZ Is no one still reading the show notes?
- 01:02:15 Tee Shirt or Singlet?
- 01:02:40 What prose/ poetry inspires Melina
- 01:03:10 Tim reads Edward Abbey
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.”
― Edward Abbey
About Perth Trail Series
As always…. by the Externals.
Find more Externals music on Spotify